Monday, January 2, 2012

Part 3: Be Patient!

It takes time to change. 


I’ve kept a pretty faithful record in my journals and most changes in me that were significant and important took not just months, but years!  Remember how I set my original goal to learn to be like Mrs. Duggar (ie. learn to speak with a meek and quiet spirit) in January of 2009?  If I had given up after 1 year, thinking God was not helping me, I would have lost - BIG time! 

It took a full 1 year 8 months for the very first significant change to occur.  This was when a friend mentored me in biblical child training and discipline principles (see Part 1).   After 2 months of trying to absorb and implement this into my family I saw huge results in my home.  After a few more months of working on this, I KNEW I was on the road to meeting my goal; at the beginning of the road, but on the road nevertheless.

It wasn’t until October 2011(2 years 10 months after setting my goal) that I made significant, noticeable progress on my original goal.  In fact my first realization came while I was talking with my teenage daughter about it.  She said “Mom, you’re about 90% there!”  That made my year!

I believe that God will only change me up to my capacity to change.  I’ve also learned that given time, faith, and willingness, God can enlarge my capacity as long as I don’t cast out that righteous goal because of my unbelief.

Just a word of forewarning:  Even after making so much progress thru the years, it is still very easy to slip back into old patterns of behavior and thinking.  I’ve noticed this with many changes I’ve made over the years.   Don’t give up because you slip back into the old you!  Expect it, so when it happens you can say, “hmm…I guess I’m human!”  Then move on.  If I blow it the difference is very noticeable to me, and I’m much quicker to apologize, repent and get back on track.

Scriptures say that love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things, and it never fails (1 Corinthians 13:7-8).  Being patient, enduring and waiting on the Lord and His timing is such an important part of the journey.  It may take me years, but I believe I will not fail.

Where is the Lord asking you to be patient and wait on Him?

This is a 6 part series:





Part 5 Daily Spiritual Checkpoints

Part 6 Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment